Happy Thought: The Secret of Kells



If you haven't watched this movie, you really really really REAAAALLLLYYYY need to. It is one of my favorite movies of all time.


I hadn't heard anything about it, but I found it on Netflix streaming* back in April and decided to give it a go.



Beautiful animation. Gorgeous music. And a sweet hopeful story about the necessity of art in the worst of times.

Here's the description on the back of the DVD:

Magic, fantasy, and Celtic mythology come together in a riot of color and detail that dazzle the eyes in a sweeping story about the power of imagination and faith to carry humanity through dark times.


In a remote medieval outpost of Ireland, young Brendan embarks on a new life of adventure when a celebrated master illuminator arrives from foreign lands carrying a book brimming with secret wisdom and powers. To help complete the magical book, Brendan has to overcome his deepest fears on a dangerous quest that takes him into the enchanted forest where mythical creatures hide. It is here that he meets the falry Aisling, a mysterious young wolf-girl, who helps him along the way. But with the barbarians closing in, will Brendans determination and artistic vision illuminate the darkness and show that enlightenment is the best fortification against evil?


Need I say more? Are you looking at the pictures?

Can you spot the people in this still?
WARNING, though: This is not an American movie; it's an Irish-French-Belgium co-production. It has a happy ending, but it's not the kind of happy ending you have come to expect from Hollywood animation companies, like Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks. 


Here, why don't you watch this clip? I dare you to. And then see if that song doesn't stay in your head so long that you buy it from iTunes.



(Confession: I have the whole soundtrack. I write to it.)

As of today, it is still streaming on Netflix, and I also saw it in Target last time I was there (that's where I found my copy). Go check it out!

It's so hard to tell - from all the pics in the post - which one is my favorite character. :-P