Happy Thoughts: The Christmas Edition


The tree turned out nice this year.

Happy Holidays, lovely readers!

I hope they've been wonderful and merry and bright. I hope they continue that way all the way into the new year. (2012!! Can you believe it's only five days away?)

My holidays have been splendid so far!

I got an e-reader for Christmas - yes, dear reader: I will soon join the ranks of the Kindle- or NOOK-lovers. But unfortunately, it can't be a happy thought for THIS month. I need to go pick one out and purchase it, and first, I'm trying to read my way through all my hard copies before I get too excited about my new toy and its digital library. (But I am SO excited. - Can you tell? I'll be able to buy my OWN e-book. SQUEE!!)

Another awesome gift came from my sister. Does anyone remember this show?


Click through to check it out on Hulu.com
We loved it when we were kids! It ranked right up there with Disney's TV series for Chronicles of Narnia. Because she's awesome and thoughtful, she gave me the box set - definitely a new Happy Thought.

Another Happy Thought?

(It's the holidays. I'm full of happy thoughts this time of year. :-P)

I'm going to make cookies these evening! Giant Oatmeal Spice Cookies to be more specific. They're my very favorite cookies in the whole world (outranking even my ginger chocolate chip cookies!). Probably because I only let myself make them this time of year, which makes them extra special.

Here's the recipe in case you want to try it out: 

Giant Oatmeal Spice Cookies

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups quick cooking oats, uncooked
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)


Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices; set aside.

Combine butter and sugar, creaming well.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Add flour mixture, mixing well.  Stir in oats and nuts.

Drop dough by ¼ cup measure, five inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheets.

Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. 

Yield about two dozen.

NOTE: You can also convert these to regular-sized cookies. For spoon-sized drops, my oven cooks them at 375 for 8.5 minutes. (Your oven may be different!)