Happy Thought: Muir Woods

I drove across the country this month, and I got a chance to see stuff I'd never seen before: red hills, deserts, the Grand Canyon, the Pacific Ocean!

But I wanted to share one of my new favorite places. My mom, who helped me drive across the country, wanted to see some redwoods before she left for Charlotte, so we took a trip to Muir Woods National Park.

These aren't my pictures by the way. All of mine turned out blurry, because we went very late in the day.

Click here for source.
Isn't it awesome? Doesn't it look just like a fairy tale?? It actually reminded me a lot of The Secret of Kells.

Click here for source.
Click here for source.
Anyway, Muir Woods is what scientests call an "Old Growth" forest, which basically means that there's a mix of young trees and really really old - and big - trees. One sign showed a tree that was a thousand years old! But "Old Growth" forests are rare nowadays, because when more people moved into the area, they cut down a lot of the biggest trees for lumber - they needed it to build buildings.

Kind of sad actually - A forest like this is definitely something to see!

Click here for source.