Happy Thought: Ella Enchanted

Oh, I remember the first time I found this book. I was in sixth grade, and I was searching the library at my new school. (As a middle schooler, I didn't need to wait for my class to go to the library. I could just go whenever I wanted. I thought this was awesome.) 

This was the cover it had back then: 


A retelling of Cinderella? With a cursed, rebellious heroine? Of course I checked it out. 

And you guys, I fell in love with this book. And I haven't really fallen out of love since. It ranks in the top five of my Favorite Books of All Time. (And at this point in my life, I've read thousands of books.) 

I know there was a movie with Anne Hathaway, but if you've only seen it without reading the book, you're missing out. 

This is what the book looks like now.
Here's the description: 

How can such a fairy's blessing be such a curse?

At her birth, Ella of Frell was the unfortunate recipient of a foolish fairy's gift--the "gift" of obedience. Ella must obey any order given to her, whether it's hopping on one foot for a day and a half, or chopping off her own head! But strong-willed Ella does not tamely accept her fate. Against a bold backdrop of princes, ogres, giants, wicked stepsisters, and fairy godmothers, Ella goes on a quest to break the curse--once and for all.